To go from where you are right now to this gem of a tropical paradise on the Caribbean, you need to pack your suitcase. But where do you start and what should you pack for your Belize vacation? Lucky for you, you won’t need oversize luggage and some basic essentials are all you need. Pro-tip: remember to think about the weather on Ambergris Caye and other areas of Belize. With the following packing tips for Belize, you’ll have luggage that is well-stocked. Your vacation adventures await!
Belize's Weather & What That Means for Your Packing List
Dry Weather: December-May
Expect little-to-no rainfall. The winter months may be cooler with temperatures in the 60’s or 70’s overnight and breezy days full of sunshine. As spring approaches the weather heats up. Temps in the 90’s and sometimes reaching triple digits are common March through May.
Tips for dry season packing:
- Beat the heat with loose-fitting natural fabrics help to keep you cool,
- Bathing suits and cover ups for around the pool and rash guards for days on the reef
- The tropical heat is on- sun protection is a must. Pack a hat, sunglasses and reef-safe sunscreen.
- No need for formal wear, casual clothes and comfortable sandals are common on the island.
Green Season: June – November
The rains return after the pronounced dry season around June. The plants and native landscaping become lush again, bringing flowers and favorite fruits. Rainy days do occur, but don’t often last. Temperatures are hot and muggy and the sun is often out. For more on the Green Season, click here.
Tips for packing for a trip during Green Season:
- Plan for some rain, but also be ready to take full advantage of the sunshine.
- Prepare for unexpected rain showers and bring a small umbrella or raincoat
- Insect repellent and long sleeves and trousers can help prevent insect bites.
- Consider a deck of cards, book or other indoor activity
- Pro tip- bring a waterproof case or even a Ziploc bag for your phone or other water-sensitive devices
What to Pack for Belize Jungle Tours
Don’t miss out on all the adventure that mainland tours have to offer. Choose from traveler favorites like cave tubing, zip lining, Mayan monuments and hiking. For tips on what to wear for Belize jungle tours, look no further.
- Bring a sturdy pair of closed-toed shoes, either low hiking boots or tennis shoes
- A headlamp is handy if you plan to do cave tours, cave tubing tours include them in the tour package
- Don’t leave home without a reusable water bottle. Keep hydrated and reduce your plastic waste!
- When hiking, wear loose-fitting long trousers and bring a long-sleeved button-up shirt. These provide protection against vegetation and biting insects
- Binoculars for wildlife viewing will give you a closer look
Belize Island Tours Packing Tips
With the Belize Barrier Reef offshore, enjoying this world heritage site is a must. Choose from snorkeling, sailing, fishing or scuba diving.
- Tour packages include the technical gear for each excursion. You may bring your own if you prefer.
- Sun protection is a must- pack your hat and polarized sunglasses.
- Choose a reef-safe sunscreen and don’t forget a chap stick with SPF for your lips.
- Re-usable water bottle that you can refill as needed
- Depending on your activity, bring a rash guard or a shirt to cover up from the sun.
- A waterproof bag for your phone if you plan to take it on the boat
Island Wear in Belize
Belize is generally a casual and laid back destination for your vacation. A few basic items can sustain your wardrobe for a trip to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. If you are asking yourself, “What to wear in Belize?” peruse the lists below to get started on selecting your clothes for vacation.
Casual dress in San Pedro
- T-shirts or tank tops
- Skirts or sun dresses
Beach wear on Ambergris Caye
- Swimsuits- bring a couple
- Cover-ups for around the resort
- Sun protection- hat, sunglasses
Nightlife attire in San Pedro
- No need to get fancy, though you can dress it up for a date or night on the town with friends
- Dresses are a fun and easy way to feel dressed up while keeping cool
- Khaki shorts and a short-sleeved shirt are common for men
Things to leave at home:
- Heavy jeans- try a lightweight pair of trousers or chinos instead
- High heels- they don’t mix well with sand
- Heavy jewelry- it’s too hot
Organizing the things you will fill your suitcase with for your next trip to Belize is easy with these tips. Keep in mind the weather you are likely to encounter during the time of year you are traveling. Consider the activities you wish to do on your Belize vacation. Belize has committed to reducing single-use plastic; you can do your part with a reusable water bottle. Happy packing!